This week, I thought I’d do something funny. With a lack of blog post ideas in my head, I went over to HubSpot’s Blog Ideas Generator to see if it could help me come up with some topics. You have to input three nouns, so I chose “writing,” “authors,” and “books.” Most of the results actually gave me a laugh, so this week I’m going to make posts from the funniest ones on the list. Enjoy!
20 Myths About Authors
The generator seems to think there’s a bunch of myths about authors out there. Let’s explore some of them!
- We’re all rich. LOL
- All our books are made into movies.
- We all know each other. Imagine the parties.
- We do all our writing in coffee shops. We can’t afford coffee shop coffee.
- We all own a cat. Cats own us, this is known.
- We’re all perfect at grammar and spelling. I dnt no wht u meen.
- You have to be crazy to be a writer. This one is actually true.
- Published authors never get rejected. If you think it hurts before you get your first acceptance, imagine how much it sucks when you already have a bunch of stuff published.
- Writing is glamorous. I know I’m irresistibly hot in my coffee-stained pajamas with my unbrushed hair hunched over my keyboard like Quasimodo, but restrain yourselves, boys!
- We type everything on old-timey typewriters because it looks cool. We also all smoke pipes and wear thick-rimmed glasses.
- We plan what’s going to happen in our books ahead of time. Usually it surprises even us.
- We killed your favorite character as a personal insult to you specifically. Yes, you.
- We love reading our own reviews. I enjoy being told how stupid I am!
- We have infinite free copies of our book to hand out to everyone.
- We choose pen names because we’ve killed a man and we’re in hiding.
- We’ve read all the books ever written as research. Even the ones that perished in the Library of Alexandria, we have copies of them hidden in vaults.
- We make ritual sacrifices to the ghosts of Walt Whitman and Ernest Hemingway on Saturdays.
- No books are published without Stephen King’s approval first.
- Anyone can write a book.
- We never, ever slack on getting our writing done.
Do you have any myths to add that I forgot? Let’s spill our secrets, authors!
Paranormal and contemporary romance author.